"MAGONA" comes from the term "MAONA", which has an uncertain meaning. It might come from Genoa dialect word "MOBBA", which means "UNION" ,"SOCIETY", or from the name of a boat. It might also come from the Arabic word "MAOUNACH", which is "trade business".
The history of MAGONA Palace in Pistoia starts in the Middle Age. This is visible if you look at the internal structures which have been rescued during the restoration of the "ANTICHI MAGAZZINI PER LA VENDITA DEI PRODOTTI FINITI DELL´IMPRESA REALE DEL FERRO LA MAGONA"(OLD WAREHOUSES where iron was sold by the Royal Iron Enterprise LA MAGONA). The restoration was entirely supervised by the Pistoia born Geometrician Tiziano Menchi. These structures are highlighted in the graphic reconstruction of Luigi Pulcini´s paintings, which are currently located at the entrance of the medieval tower which was found during the refurbishment work, and which is now part of the "BISTECCATOSCANA" restaurant.
The palace was given to the "MAGONA" in 1614. On 5th April 1784 the base of the management of the GRANDUCATO DI TOSCANA ( grand duchy of tuscany) steelworks was moved from Florence to Pistoia, specifically in this aristocratic palace, which had previously belonged to the noble PAPPAGALLI Family of Pistoia.
The MAGONA DEL FERRO (angela Garducci - La Magona Del Ferro) was established in 1542, in order to manage the purchase of the iron at the Mine of Rio; this iron would have been then sold inside the State or Abroad, to make profit.
The MAGONA "store", when it was first created, was administrated for the account and the interest of the King, who supplied the capital, and supervised by the "magonieri", who had the role of main ministers, in charge of managing and governing the enterprise business, even though the most important decisions were subject to the Grand Duke´s approval...